Would I have a drug-free birth again?
YES!
Would I have a homebirth again?
YES!
Would I have a doula and midwife again?
YES!
Will my labor be shorter than 5 hours next time?
Probably so
Would I change anything about the way the birth went?
I would only change a couple of minor things. Overall, I was very happy with how things went. I really REALLY wanted to have a water birth. Maybe in a subsequent birth? But maybe not because they're probably going to be just as fast if not faster from here on out. There simply wasn't enough time for a water birth.
I had an unplanned homebirth and it was fine. I wanted to have a homebirth someday; just not in Korea. Mainly just because #1 I felt like my apartment was too small (it was fine) and #2 the homebirth with our midwife cost twice as much as birthing in her clinic would have been. So the plan was to originally drive 45 minutes to the midwife's birthing center. My labor picked up speed very quickly after my water broke. So much so that by the time my doula arrived, we felt like it was best to stay home because the baby was coming very soon.
It was only when the backup midwife arrived that my labor slowed down. Had it been my original midwife, Rosa, I really think the whole process would have been done in about 3 hours or so. But we all noticed ( I didn't in the moment but looking back I do realize) that the labor significantly slowed down when the backup midwife arrived.
Would I change the place of birth if I could?
No. I know I said I originally didn't want to have a homebirth here in Korea for petty reasons really. But looking back at the whole labor and delivery process, I'm so glad I had a homebirth now! I was able to labor and give birth in the comfort of my own home. Had I gone to the birthing center or a hospital or some other establishment to give birth, I still would have stayed home for the majority of the labor (this is a very wise decision for women to make if it is possible in your situation). Transferring to a new location in the midst of strong labor would be very uncomfortable and stressful. I got to stay in the same familiar environment the whole time.But the very best part was that about 20 minutes after he was born, mommy, daddy, and baby got to get in our own bed and have family bonding time. I didn't have to stay overnight in an unfamiliar place. I didn't have to go anywhere except occasionally get up to go the bathroom and that was hard enough. I can't imagine trying to come back from the birthing center- from leaving the building, to the taxi ride home, getting back up into our apartment...it hurt to walk at first and I would not want to have made that journey. So would I change where the birth took place? Absolutely not!
All in all, I'm very happy with how things went. I did not have any medications or needles stuck in me. Neither did Judah. We were able to do delayed cord clamping. After the cord was cut we were able to do skin-to-skin and all the birth bonding that we had planned for. It was a huge success and I wish the same for all my friends who are soon to be going through the same process.
Was it worth it?
Absolutely.

I appreciate you listing positive reasons for wanting a homebirth. The reasons I've heard for having one were negative, such as negatives about hospitals. Thanks for presenting the flip side!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
Delete