Today I had my 36 week Dr. appointment. I'm not happy about what happened but I can't go back and change it. They did some tests. One of the tests was a chest X-ray. As it was happening, the thought popped into my head- "Wait a minute- an X-RAY? Why am I having an X-ray????" Turns out this is another standard (and unnecessary) prenatal practice here in Korea.
At that point it was too late to stop it. The technician was already in the other room pushing the button. I'm really upset with myself that the thought didn't cross my mind before the X-ray actually occured. Back when I was traveling home during Christmas time, I took extra precautions to avoid X-rays when going through airports. Most doctors won't allow women to have X-rays during pregnancy unless it's the only option. Dentists won't even do them on your teeth (which is a very low radiation dosage).
I called my doula after the procedure and asked her why they did it and she told me they do it just in case I have to have a C-section. Really? Thanks a lot Korea. I unnecessarily exposed my baby to radiation. The X-ray is supposed to check for Tuberculosis and the reasoning is that if I had to have a C-section, the TB could affect the anesthetic used in the operation.
I did feel a little better after my doula (and my husband) reminded me that the most critical time of development is in the first trimester. That would be the absolute worst and most dangerous time to get an X-ray. At this point in the pregnancy, the baby is completely full-term, everything is developed, and the risk is very low.
I'm still not happy about it knowing after the fact that it's something I could have refused and wasn't necessary.
No comments:
Post a Comment