I have been experiencing heartburn throughout this pregnancy, mainly starting in the 2nd trimester. I found the first mention of it in my 20 week post. The heartburn I was experiencing then had nothing on what's been going on lately...it wasn't even worth mention compared to what I've been feeling.
Last year when I was having health problems, my mom sent me a box of Prilosec which is supposd to help with heartburn and indigestion. I really don't like the idea of taking medication while pregnant...the most I've taken is Tylenol just a few times when I was in a lot of pain. But this heartburn has been absolutely unbearable! I've gone through almost 2 bottles of Tums. In the past 2 weeks, I was maxing out on the daily recommended dosage of Tums and still not much relief. I read that chewing gum helps because it produces saliva which coats the digestive tract and stomach, but I was having to either have Tums or gum in my mouth constantly. It was so bad that I was waking up in the middle of the night having to take Tums. Foods that normally didn't cause heartburn were causing it. Anything and everything was causing heartburn and I wasn't finding relief.
So I reluctantly decided to explore the possibility of taking Prilosec. I researched it online on medical websites. A lot of women said their doctors told them to take it. Just to be sure, I talked to a nurse friend who checked with a pharmacist and they said it was fine. I started the 14-day treatment 2 days ago and I felt relief the very first day. I was a little surprised because the box said it can take from 1-4 days for the treatment to take effect. I have felt SO much better over the last few days. I haven't had to take any Tums!! And I have felt any burning sensations. It's been wonderful!
I still have hiccups and lots of burping- I sound like a man! But at least there isn't a burning that accompanies the air bubbles.
I've also heard that when the baby drops, the heartburn gets a lot better. That should be happening in the next few weeks!
No comments:
Post a Comment