Background

Friday, February 3, 2012

20 week update

STATS:

How far along: 20 weeks.
How big is baby: The size of a small cantaloupe- about 11 ounces and 6.3 inches

Weight gain:  A total of 5 kilos since I became pregnant- 11 pounds.
Maternity Clothes: definitely

Sleep: Not so good lately. I only have to get up 2 times a night though to go to the bathroom. I can handle that as opposed to my previous record of 5 times a night. Now, I usually wake up at 1:30 and 5:30 every morning. If I got to bed later, those times are pushed back about an hour. The 5:30/6:30 wakeup time is the worst because it usually takes me 1-1.5 hours to fall back asleep if I'm able to at all. I toss and turn all night too. I want to get a body pillow.

Best moment of the week: feeling the baby move! I noticed it for the first time last Sunday and it has been happening all week since then. It's such a weird feeling...something is moving around inside of me. And it's not just gas!

Food cravings : None really. I say that, but tonight I really really wanted chocolate pudding. Baby liked it too. He or she is moving around like crazy now. But I can't necessarily attribute that to pregnancy. I've always craved sweets. Ask any of my friends.

Food aversions: Just onions. I'm still not too fond of red sauces like pizza or pastas. I can tolerate them, they just wouldn't be my first pick for a meal.

Symptoms: Occasional heartburn, hunger, leg cramps in the middle of the night, contractions. Yes- I said contractions! I started working out again recently and I noticed when I was walking on the treadmill at the gym a few days ago that I started to have pain and cramping in my stomach. I described it to my doula and she said those were contractions. She helped me realize that it's actually a blessing to experience them this early (and totally normal) because I can start to prepare and practice. She said a lot of women don't experience any contractions until they actually go into labor and then they are surprised and have a really hard time dealing with the contractions. The doctor says these contractions are fine as long as I don't have more than 6 an hour in a lying position.

Movement: Yes!
Gender: We'll find out for sure at our 20 week appointment in 2 days!
What I’m looking forward to: Hmm...getting a body pillow. Taylor being able to feel the baby move. Finding out the gender.

What I miss: wine, margaritas
Next appt: Saturday, February 4

What is baby doing this week? This week baby's skin will become covered with vernix to protect the skin from becoming scratched or chipped. Baby is also starting to produce meconium, which will hopefully wait to come out until after he/she is born. Baby's hair is also beginning to grow and all the organs and structures are entering a big period of growth. Yay baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...