-Okay, I have no idea why half of the following post is in all caps. I tried to fix it, but it didn't work. Sorry about that.
Today I had my 24 week appointment which included the Glucose Screening Test to check for gestational diabetes. I did not like the orange liquid! The blood draw was the best part of the whole thing. I find out the results in 2 days. We opted out of the ultrasound this time. Korean doctors do ultrasounds at every visit which are completely unnecessary, but cool nonetheless. I think they cost around $15 but I don't even pay that because of the Go-Eun Mom Card. In the States, most women get just 1-2 ultrasounds during their entire pregnancy. Nothing has been linked to any harm to the baby by getting an ultrasound. We have just chosen to opt out of some because the baby does not like them. He always covers his face or ears during the ultrasound. They asked me if I wanted to schedule a 3D ultrasound for the next visit, and I kind of did, but dad said no. His words were "I'm gonna see what he looks like when he's born; why do I need to see him early?" One of my friends told me not to do the 3D because it emits different waves than the regular ultrasound and really bothers the baby. So, we're not gonna do it. If I did do the 3D ultrasound though, it would cost 70,000 Won, but we could use the Go-Eun Mom Card for 60,000 of it, which means we only pay 10,000- around $8 for a 3D ultrasound!
The Dr. still wanted to listen to the heart beat but she didn't have a regular old fetoscope so they had to use the ultrasound wand just to hear the heartbeat. Oh, Korea...so technologically advanced. My fear is that the Doctors aren't even being trained to use basic methods anymore. Come on....they didn't even have a fetoscope in their office! So the total for my visit today was 7,700 Won- exactly $6.89. And of course the Go-Eun Mom Card covered it so we paid nothing out of pocket.
STATS:
How far along: 24 weeks, 5 daysHow big is baby: About the length of a half gallon of milk, or an ear of corn- 12.5 inches and about 1.5 pounds
Total Weight gain: 18.5 pounds
Maternity Clothes: I love my leggings but my maternity jeans are pretty comfortable too.
Sleep: Pretty good. Lately I have been sleeping all night without waking up to go to the bathroom even once!! I had a bad cold last week so I definitely had trouble sleeping then, but it's finally getting better. The main thing disturbing my sleep right now is our noisy upstairs neighbors. I'm talking furniture moving, footsteps- not just steps; they're more like pounding, stomping footsteps that vibrate our walls and ceiling, and just general noise. Woke me up at 2:30 last night. I sometimes hear the noise at 4:30 and always around 6:30 am. :(
Best moment of the week: Getting my mom's plane ticket booked! She's officially coming!
Food cravings : No. I'm convinced that pregnancy cravings are the same as non-pregnancy food cravings. You crave something your body is deficient in. I take a prenatal vitamin and I believe I'm getting all the nutrients I need. So no cravings.
Food aversions: Only onions.
Symptoms: Really bad heartburn.
Movement: Yes. It fluctuates, but I generally feel him move at least 3-4 times a day. He's more active at night.
Gender: It's a boy!
What I’m looking forward to: having the baby. I don't want to keep waiting, but I know he needs to keep growing.
What I miss: Nothing.
Next appt: Tuesday, March 6
What is baby doing this week? The nostrils have opened and the baby has begun practicing breathing- amniotic fluid that is. I guess he's our little fish for now.Blood vessels are developing in the lungs. Baby's skin is becoming more opaque as fat starts to accumulate. My uterus has reached the size of a soccer ball!
No comments:
Post a Comment